Location / Lieu: 10 Overlea Blvd, Toronto
Position / Poste: National Manager Government Relations & Advocacy
Duties / Fonctions:
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the National Manager, Government Relations & Advocacy is responsible for maintaining and expanding government opportunities, awareness and partnerships for the programs and services of March of Dimes Canada. A successful candidate will be required to maintain and increase profile with the federal, provincial and territorial spheres of governance and public policy and to advocate for public policies and legislation that serve the mission of March of Dimes Canada.
- Build stakeholder, public, public sector and legislative affinity on issues affecting March of Dimes Canada’s clients and the sector both nationally and provincially.
- Attend key community, government and media events including consultations, launches and provide briefs to senior management
- Assist in the development of March of Dimes public image, messaging and brand recognition
- Produce “The Advocate” once each month and post relevant information on March of Dimes Canada website
- Initiate original research as part of building awareness, interest and/or demand from the public
- Establish an integral presence of March of Dimes Canada on all entities of relevance on Parliament Hill and in the provincial legislatures
- Prepare and maintain background information on provincial, territorial and federal government elected members
- Maintain and build relationships in the post-secondary sector
- In consultation with senior management, identify organizational needs and priorities for attention
- Identify government programs, policies and personnel relevant to March of Dimes Canada’s strategic plans
- Manage and approve staff/consulting hours in accordance with budgeted hours and organizational needs
- Recruit, orient and supervise volunteers, and any approved staff or consultants, ensure that all are complying with organization policies and follow health and safety requirements.
- Promotion and develop outreach for March of Dimes Canada fundraising and marketing events
- Consult, advise, review and evaluate all government relations activities and report on effectiveness
- Produce financial plans and budgets, forecasts and results reports
- Participate in special projects as required.
Qualifications / Compétences requises:
- Masters Degree with a major in public policy, political science, public administration or a related field.
- 7 years’ experience in public affairs or Government Relations, public affairs or policy management
- Familiarity with disability issues
- Extensive knowledge of government structures, political processes, procedures & public policy
- Strong research, analytical, critical thinking and report writing skills
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Proposal and grant writing skills
- Database management skills
- Employee development and performance management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Excellent written and oral English skills
- French language skills considered an asset
- Ability to instruct, coach, evaluate and grade university placement students
- Province wide and select national travel required
- Valid Ontario driver’s license
Applications accepted until / Candidatures acceptées jusqu’au: 12/30/2017
Send application and resume to / Adressez votre demande d’emploi et curriculum vitae à:
Name: Keith Duncan Position: Human Resources Manager
Address: 10 Overlea Blvd, Toronto, ON M4H 1A4
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, March of Dimes Canada encourages applications from qualified members of the four designated groups: women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and visible minorities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), March of Dimes Canada will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.