October 28, 2017
University of Calgary | Downtown Campus
906-8 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB T2P 1H9
C Community Inclusion
What is it?
ICEalberta is a consumer focussed conference for people who use Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) in Alberta.
The purpose of the conference is to provide individuals who use AAC an opportunity to learn from each other, create meaningful relationships in the community, and have a platform to share ideas and feelings.
The conference engages participants who are underserved in the community, with the goal of promoting Independence, Community inclusion, and Empowerment (ICE).
"There isn't a price one can put on the wisdom and advice Augmentative Communication users can give to each other."
Who is it for?
- Youth and adults who use AAC
- Friends and family of people who rely on AAC
- Parents of young people using AAC
- Community Workers
- Students in graduate studies
All are welcome to attend, observe, learn and network with the wide variety of people attending the conference.
Goals of Breaking the ICE Conference:
- Provide a forum to discuss issues of importance to people who use AAC
- Promote awareness of AAC and the interests of people who use AAC
- Provide an opportunity for people who use AAC to network with other people of similar experiences - as a way of reducing the feelings of isolation that people who use AAC often describe
* Registration deadline is August 25, 2017.
Due to the positive impact Breaking the ICE conferences have had in Ontario, British Columbia started to hold Breaking the ICEwest conferences in 2013, and this will be Alberta's first Breaking the ICEalberta conference. Across Canada, all three ICE conferences will be held on October 28, 2017, unifying participants from all three locations in a nationwide joint session.
If interested in sponsoring or donating to the 2017 Breaking the ICE Conference, please contact:
March of Dimes Canada
10 Overlea Blvd, Toronto ON M4H 1A4
1-855-583-4637 ext. 2 or email@example.com
Download the Breaking the ICE 2017 Sponsorship and Donation Form (PDF)
Breaking The ICEalberta Brochure 2017 (PDF)
Conference Partners and Organizing Committee
ICEalberta is a collaborative projects kindly supported, organized and coordinated by International Society for AAC, Bridges, Renfrew Education Services, A.C.E.T.S., March of Dimes Canada and people who use Augmentative and Alternative Communication.
The ICEalberta organization committee sincerely thanks Alberta Consortium on Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology (ACRAT) for their generous financial support of this event.
* This event is not affiliated with nor endorsed by the University of Calgary.