For Immediate Release:
Canadians talk a lot about preventing strokes, and recognizing the signs of a stroke, both of which are crucial discussions.
But what comes after?
More and more people are surviving strokes. This means that more and more people need support while they recover, but they don’t know what to expect or where to turn. March of Dimes Canada’s brand new After Stroke website (afterstroke.marchofdimes.ca
) is a good place to start.
After Stroke has been designed to build on March of Dimes Canada’s stroke recovery services, helping survivors and caregivers navigate recovery by focusing on three broad categories: the transition from hospital to home, the transition from home to community, and advocacy and research. The idea is to highlight useful resources, and make them easily available, at a time that might be challenging and overwhelming.
June is Stroke Awareness Month, so it’s the perfect time to visit After Stroke and learn more. Here are five things you might not know about stroke recovery:
- Recovery isn’t linear. There are ups and downs, set-backs and leaps forward.
- It’s different for everyone, so don’t compare yourself to other stroke survivors.
- You may deal with a wide variety of health care professionals, from occupational therapists to speech language pathologists to social workers.
- Talking to someone who’s also survived a stroke can be enormously helpful. Don’t underestimate the value of peer support.
- We’re still learning about the brain and what it’s capable of, which means we’re still learning about stroke recovery.
March of Dimes Canada is a nationally registered charitable organization providing support services to people with disabilities, their families and caregivers across Canada. Our goal is to enhance the independence and community participation of people with physical disabilities every day through a wide range of programs and services across Canada. For more information, please visit www.marchofdimes.ca or call 1-800-263-3463.
For more information, contact:
Tina Siegel - PR and Media Coordinator
March of Dimes Canada
Tel: 1-800-263-3463 ext. 7258