March of Dimes Canada is here for you! Tell us your story and win up to $15,000 towards a vehicle retrofit.
To help Alberta residents with physical disabilities regain their ability to travel independently, March of Dimes Canada, through the Istvan and Barbara Haas Vehicle Retrofit Fund, will provide up to $15,000 to retrofit a vehicle. We are inviting residents with physical disabilities to tell us their stories showing how they could benefit from a vehicle modification. The successful candidates will be awarded a vehicle retrofit valued up to $15,000 based on their individual needs.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS has been EXTENDED to January 26, 2015.
Vehicle modifications allow people living with disabilities the freedom of mobility, access and community participation that so many of us take for granted – but they can be prohibitively expensive, and out of reach for those with limited or fixed incomes.
“We are very excited to support a local individual or family living with a disability acquire a retrofitted vehicle that will make their life a little easier,” says Mary Lynne Stewart, National Director of Fund Development and Communications for March of Dimes Canada.
To be eligible contestants must:
- Be a permanent Canadian resident and the person must make his / her permanent and principal home in Alberta.
- Be a person with a permanent physical impairment caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness.
- Demonstrate an impairment that impedes mobility and results in substantial restriction in activities of daily living e.g. personal care and functioning in the community.
- Demonstrate financial need. In order to be eligible for funding, the combined gross income of applicant and spouse (where applicable) cannot exceed $75,000. In circumstances where the application is made on behalf of a child, the parents’ / guardians’ combined income is considered. In cases of a single parent / guardian, only the income of the single parent / guardian will be considered.
- Be available for the presentation of the retrofit at the annual Rock for Dimes Calgary fundraiser on February 7, 2015 at Flames Central, 219-8 Ave. SW, Calgary, Alberta.
Criteria for giveaway:
The individual or family requires vehicle modifications in order to:
- Remove or minimize a life safety risk (i.e. provide transportation to receive necessary medical treatment);
- Maintain gainful employment or pursue education;
- Improve access to /participate in the community.
Click to download the following pdf forms:
Deadline for applications has been extended to January 26, 2015.
* Terms and conditions apply. We encourage applicants to apply using email or fax, as it can take up to 9 days to receive information by Canada Post.
Si vous avez besoin des services en français, veuillez téléphoner au Programme à
For more information, please contact:
Istvan and Barbara Haas Vehicle Retrofit Initiative
111, 7015 Macleod Trail S, Calgary, AB, T2H 2K6
Presentation to Recipient:
The retrofit will be presented to the selected recipient at March of Dimes Canada’s annual Rock for Dimes Calgary fundraiser, taking place at Flames Central on February 7, 2015. More information about this battle of the bands fundraiser can be found at www.rockfordimes.ca/calgary.