This pilot project is for adults who have survived a stroke who would like to improve mobility and independence.
The goal of the free Stroke Pilot Project is to look at the quality of life (QOL) of stroke survivor’s pre-during-post Conductive Education. All participants in the pilot project will be required to fill in a QOL survey before the intensive, at the end of the intensive and 3 months post intensive. This will assist us look at how Conductive Education can help improve people’s independence and the transfer of learnt skills into the home.
- The program is open to adults (18+) who have survived a stroke and who are interested in improving their independence and mobility.
- Candidates must be currently able to weight bear and transfer with minimal assistance.
- Candidates must be able to use washroom independently or bring a caregiver to help with activities of daily living.
- For the pilot project we are looking for stroke survivors that have not attended Conductive Education before and that are in good health (no medical conditions that would restrict them from participating fully in the classes).
- Able to attend 1 hour selection interview
- Able to attend all 9 classes
- Successful candidate must complete pre and post study questionnaire and follow up questionnaire 3 months post participation.
- Travel arrangement and cost is the responsibility of the candidate
March of Dimes Canada Head Office
10 Overlea Blvd
East York, Toronto,
M4H 1 A4
Frequently Asked Questions
How many classes?
Over the course of two weeks we will run 9 classes (Monday- Friday, no class on Good Friday).
Has it been too long since I had my stroke?
No, we have had people in the program a few months post stroke, all the way up to years post stroke.
Is the building accessible?
Yes, there is accessible access from the front and back of the building with accessible parking in the back parking lot. There are also plenty of accessible washrooms.
What happens if I miss a class?
To be eligible for the pilot program you must commit to attending the full nine classes.
There will be no make-up classes for missed or canceled classes.
What’s the registration process?
- Complete an application form
- Attend a free 1 hour consultation to be eligible for selection
For more information and to apply, please contact:
1-800-263-3463 ext. 7262