For the Person with Aphasia
TO UNDERSTAND MESSAGES BETTER
- Get rid of distractions. For example, turn off the T.V.
- Look at the speaker and watch their mouth.
- Watch the speaker's gestures and face for clues.
- If you don't understand, ask the speaker to "Say that again".
Ask the speaker to:
- speak slowly.
- repeat the message or say it in a different way.
- show you what he means.
- write down the message.
TO GET YOUR MESSAGE OUT CLEARLY
- Take your time.
- If you can't find the exact word, talk around the word.
- Use any means to get your message across.
- WRITE the first letter of a word.
- Use a communication book to find information.
- Ask your partner if he understands you. Ask "Did you Understand?"