The Home & Vehicle Modification® Program is only available in Ontario. It was established and is funded by the Government of Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services in 1999, and March of Dimes Canada administers that disability management program for Ontario residents.
The Program provides funding for basic home and/or vehicle modifications, and is intended to assist permanent Ontario residents with a substantial impairment expected to last one year or more, with their disability management. By reducing or eliminating life safety risks, these modifications enable children and adults with mobility restrictions to:
- continue living in their homes
- avoid job loss, and
- participate in their communities.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in Ontario
- qualify financially, and
- have a substantial impairment caused by bodily injury, a birth defect or illness. It is ongoing and/or recurring and is expected to last one year or more. This impairment must
- impedes mobility, and
- results in substantial restriction in the activities of daily living (e.g. your personal care, or your participation in the community).
As there is limited funding, we encourage applicants to first access any other sources of available public or private funding of disability management programs or disability return to work programs before applying to this government funded program. Consumers who meet program criteria can apply for grant funding:
- Up to $15,000 lifetime maximum for home modifications, and/or
- Up to $15,000 every ten years for vehicle modifications
Alternative Home and Vehicle Modification Programs outside of Ontario
for a list of alternative provincial and national home modification programs across Canada.